Sunday, July 17, 2011

How to get by and dress before you announce that you are preggers:-)

If you weren't expecting to be expecting quite yet and are taking your time with informing the world about your new life milestone, it's hard to gage who to share your news with and when to share it. And if you're not ready to scream to the world, "I am pregnant!" you might also want to carefully choose your wardrobe, your drinks when you go out (cranberry juice and club soda is my fav) so as not to pique everyone's suspicions, and think ahead for how you'll explain the tiredness or nausea.

In my case, my belly is just starting to grow. But, my boobs took off long ago. I went from 32A to 36C practically overnight...well ok, it wasn't quite that fast, but I felt like it. Each morning, I carefully selected a tank top to go under my V-neck shirt or tried to find something that was slightly higher than what I usually wore. Each morning as I checked in with my colleague who shares an office with me, I was sure that as she was checking out my outfit, she'd notice my boobs. I was terrified that she'd figure me out. She'd either think I got a boob job, think I'd been packing away lots of extra chocolate, or god forbid, she'd think I was pregnant. My closest friends, who are candidly honest with me, shared that they'd assumed I just filled out a little (before they knew my secret) and thought nothing more.

Now, I have a new battle... Along with my boobs, my waistline has started expanding. I'm at the stage, where you can't quite tell that I'm pregnant (thank god, cuz I'm still not ready to announce that), but I look like I'm getting chunky. I went from having a fairly flat stomach to having a bulging round belly and a butt the size of a small country. Getting dressed each morning is terrifying. But, today, the day that I reached seventeen weeks was the worst. I started out feeling confident, so I decided I'd wear red. I put on some leggings, some red flat boots and filed through my closet for a matching cute red top to wear. It needed to be long enough to cover my growing booty, big enough to make it over my new Pamela Anderson chest, and flowy enough to mask my bulging belly. I squeezed into the first top, but realized after a glance in the mirror, that it screamed 'I'm putting on weight.' Next, I picked out my favorite long Indian kurti. Kurtis are baggy and have a lot of give, so I thought that'd be perfect. Nope, my kurti was no longer baggy or giving. I got it over the top, but it no longer covered my butt. Finally, I gave into the fact that no matter how badly I wanted to wear my red boots, I was out of luck. Finally, I settled on my dark purple sweater dress, curled my hair, added some cute earrings and a peace ring and I was on my way.

Tips for staying cute and getting by, before you've shared your news with the world.


1. Stay active. Go for a daily walk, and try lifting some light weights (by light, I mean 2.5 to 5 pounds) a few times a week. In my case, the walk keeps me feeling good and the weights make me feel strong inside and out. I take an aerobic weightlifting class at my gym, because I wouldn't have the discipline to do it alone. Remember, you are entitled to take a break any time you need to. It's important to keep our heartbeat under 140.

2. Eat healthy, high protein food, and take your pre-natals:-). 
It'll keep you feeling vital and energetic, and it's good for the baby too. If you're a vegetarian, just focus on getting 70 grams of protein a day, and don't worry about all of the people who give you speeches about what you ought to eat. Work with your nutritionist or doctor to make sure you're on the right track. Nut butters, greek yogurt, eggs, lentils, beans, quinoa and so many other  foods are packed with protein.

3. Bust out the empire waist dresses and tops that you likely already have in your closet and leggings.
These clothes are timeless. They've been in style for a long time, and will likely stay that way for a long time. They are comfortable, fashionable, and you can still look cute.

4. Find one or two low-fitting, loose pairs of jeans that you already have and enjoy wearing them while you can. Pair them with loose fitting, trendy tops. Forget about your favorite fitted jeans right now. They'll be there for you after you've had the baby. If your waist expands on the loose jeans before you're ready to be done with them, loop a hair tie through the hole and around the button--that should buy you a few extra weeks in your jeans.

5. Take time to do your hair and make-up (if you like doing your hair or make-up).
The way we present ourselves definitely affects the way we feel. If you're feeling chubby (which all pregnant women do, I think) and frumpy, walking around in sweat pants and uncombed hair, will probably do little to lift your spirits. We've all done it! But, I've found that it does wonders to take a minute to put my best self forward.

6. Treat yourself to regular manicures and pedicures in well vented and clean salon.
My nails seem to grow everyday. This is just a simple thing you can do for yourself from time to time to breath, relax, and enjoy some TLC.

7. Find a reliable massage therapist and visit her/him each month. 
Make sure you share that you are pregnant and make sure that your therapist is comfortable with that. If you and your massage therapist are a match, visit him/her each month. For me, the stress that comes along with preparing to become a parent combined with the discomfort of trying to sleep on my side each and every night leaves my body feeling tense. The massage is a much needed release.

8. Continue nurturing your passions.
I love writing and even sometimes daydream about what it would be like to sustain myself primarily as a writer. Writing is my outlet for dealing with all of the bumps that life throws me. Hence, this blog. I love setting up in a coffee shop along with friends to work on whichever project I'm engaged in. It's a release and a positive outlet. Whatever your passion is, continue to nourish it. It's important to keep your own identity even as you prepare to add another huge dimension to your life.

9. Smile. 
Give yourself permission to laugh and smile at all of the little mishaps that sometimes happen in life. If you're like me, you'll lose things even more frequently than before or forget things that you never thought possible. Rather than beating yourself up, go ahead and laugh:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment